Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Comfort Food

Yesterday was a rough day.  Poor Mike got extremely sick with heat exhaustion, nearly to the point of heat stroke due to the ineptitude of the major shipping company he was throwing boxes for as a temp job.  I had a good interview with the veterinarian's down the street, but was told it would be another week for round two of interviews.  Sigh.  So to make things a little better, we took a brief jaunt on the streetcar to Harrah's and used our leftover voucher for $10 and played penny slots and $0.25 blackjack for awhile.  The free drink was about all we expected to get out of it and we weren't disappointed.

Heading back to the streetcar, I smelled the most horribly appetizing scent in the air; deep fried greasy something-or-others.  Didn't really matter what, I got an instant craving for fat fried goodness.  My general policy is to avoid deep fried, greasy foods because they're bad for me, give me heartburn, and mess with my gall bladder.  Sometimes, if you're miserable anyway, you want at least a good reason to be so.  That was yesterday.

Before getting home, we stopped by Rouses and picked up a few supplies.  Poor Mike was exhausted by this time, having well underestimated the heat sickness so he played at being a slug on the couch.  I got in the kitchen and spent the next hour and a half creating the most greasily decadent dinner I could come up with.  On the menu were fried chicken tenders and home grown okra fresh from the garden; breaded and fried as well.  Skins on garlic cheddar mashed potatoes rounded out the plate and the dollop of dip for the chicken was a buffalo wing blend.  Dessert was my mama's easy recipe for banana pudding (though I almost forgot the bananas).  And of course, you can't have a proper southern meal like that without a glass of sweet iced tea.

Does the new food color wheel include "brown"?  I think we have that one covered.
Naturally, sleep did not go well with heartburn inducing tastiness of that caliber.  It's always darkest before the light as they say, and the light hit when I heard my phone ring.  It was a job offer, and a good one!  I'll be starting (possibly tomorrow) on a temp to perm gig doing typing M-F 9-5 with acceptable pay.  And it's about fifteen minutes closer than the last one was.  Hoody hoo!  Send all your kudos for Mike to find something permanent and paying well and we'll be set.  Yeah!


      

No comments:

Post a Comment