Sunday, January 30, 2011

Are You Sitting Down?

I am, because despite the departure of Other Brother from being my roommate I still retain my Throne, Bench, and Couch of Perpetual Indulgence Mark II.  If I had a full time job, I might think about replacing the echos in the living area with new furniture; like an Eames Lounge Chair from the lovely people at CSN who do home decor and furnishings.  By the way, if you leave me a comment at the end of this blog I'll choose at random one winner of a $15 gift code to use as you wish at any of their 200+ websites.  They only ship to the US and Canada so if you happen to be my one Vietnamese reader out there, sorry about that but feel free to say "hi" anyway.  Canadians may run into international shipping taxes from receiving their stuff, but otherwise you can use the gift code for whatever you'd like. 

Okay, corporate obligations aside, here's a recap of the weekend.  Other Brother came back with his Mom and Uncle in a whirlwind of moving and relocated yesterday.  Everything's fine with us, he's going back to Dallas where the work is and is still fulfilling his financial obligations to me.  I can't and don't blame him for going where the work is, but I'll miss him.  I looked despondent enough when he left that unofficial roommate James gave me a gruff hug and then said we should go to his place to watch a movie so I wouldn't be stuck alone in an empty house.

Off to James' house to watch Dead Snow, the most awesome Norwegian zombie flick ever created, and drink scotch.  After the movie was over work began on The Comic Books.  The Comic Books are James' latest acquisition apart from the Sofa of Doom.  Both came from Tommy, a friend who had to move to South Korea for work.  Tommy offered to sell James not one, not two, but EIGHT fully packed comic boxes (Length 30 X Width 9 X Height 12 3/4) for the low low price of $200 since he had to vacate and didn't care about storing them.  In these crates were just about every title, storyline, crossover, graphic novel, and special edition known to man for the past ten years under Marvel, DC, and then some; a good 95% of which are in pristine condition.  

Unfortunately, James is much the same way I am about my comic books when I get around to organizing them.  It becomes a mission for which perfection is the only option, damned be the time it takes.  James had been working on this solo for the better part of two and a half weeks and was becoming increasingly frustrated with this nightmare of an OCD project.  So we sat down and for five hours sorted, separated and arranged by number (lowest on top) all these titles.  With the two of us working we got through a large chunk of the collection, but it's by no means finished.

This, in large part, is the reason that we spent a few hours at the New Orleans Comic Con today.  Tommy had the annoying habit of purchasing all issues in a series but for one in the middle (probably thinking he'd already bought it) and James was interested in hunting down a few missing issues as well as purchasing more bags and boards for his acquisitions.  The first three hundred bags barely scratched the surface.

The fee for getting in was not what we had been led to believe and absolutely ludicrous to the point that I feel exceedingly guilty since James had offered to pay.  When you get in, the comic stores are selling you stuff, the dealers are selling you stuff, and the stars sure as hell are selling you stuff.  $25 for an autographed photo?  Really?  

All right, I admit it was kinda neat to see all those big names in one spot.  The childhood geek in me loved seeing Peter Tork of the Monkees (lookin' good for his age) as well as Louis Gossett Jr. (short!).  I must've seen Firewalker with him and Chuck Norris about fifty times.  Walter Koenig (Chekov - Star Trek) was there too, although that was kinda sad because the last time I really paid attention to him was when I was in Vancouver on Halloween holiday in '09--not two miles from the park where his son committed suicide that same week.  On a lighter note, Ernie Hudson from Ghostbusters is none too shabby for as long as he's been around and seemed to be genuinely enjoying himself.   

The only people who weren't hawking stuff were the members of the 501st, a Star Wars costume troupe that does charity events.  My friend Karrie Monster is a soon-to-be member and was helping out with the booth in Sith gear.  Karrie introduced me to her two friends Megan (dressed as LeeLoo from the Fifth Element) and Amber, wearing a blond wig and very short red dress.  Amber had been commandeered to assist in bringing traffic to Daniel Logan's (Boba Fett from Star Wars: Episode II) booth.  This guy is a tiny little perv of a Kiwi.  He's maybe 5'3" and weighs slightly more than a cheeseburger. But good grief his personality is big!  The first comment he had as Karrie, Megan and I wandered up was to look up and ask "Threesome?   Foursome?"  Naturally I brought the girls up front and center and said "these count as four".  His eyes bugged out and he agreed wholeheartedly.


Amber interjected and asked if we wanted to see her ad space.  We said sure, and came around the booth where she was, Daniel waving us in.  Amber then turned her backside to us, lifted her dress, and showed us the outerwear set of panties she'd made that read "Your Ad Here" on the crotch.  The ladies and I all agreed this was pretty funny and Daniel suggested we show the neighbor in the booth behind...who happened to be Adam West.  (If you need me to tell you who that is you need to pull your head out from under that rock.)  The explanation was given, the curtain pulled aside....

I can't tell you how funny it was to see that old man tilt his head, stare, and then immediately with a look of incredulity turn around and go back to his booth.  The next victim was Nicholas Brendan (Xander of Buffy).  He got called over and this time Amber showed her sign from the booth counter.  He was wearing shades (because, y'know, they do that in Hollywood) and came over, same head tilt, then the expression of shock as he realized what it was he was looking at. I couldn't watch when they tried it with Walter.  I was afraid that poor old man would have a heart attack. 


I glanced over to the next table where one of the other actors was having lunch and giving a quizzical look as to what was going on at our booth.  I wandered over and said I was going to leave the perverts for awhile and talk to some normal people.  She asked what they were doing and I explained the gag to her.  Her name was Keisha Tillis and she's a very pretty, well-spoken, up and coming actress.  As of late she was in the AMC series The Walking Dead.  I've read two of the graphic novels (again thanks to James) and really enjoyed them, but hadn't gotten a chance to see the show yet.  I'm gonna have to now, she was really nice and I loved the books.

After hobnobbing with the nerdy and famous, we went back to the house for JamesBurgers.  The rest of the day was calm and rainy.  I've got a temp job in the AM, so that's all for now folks!  Tune in next week, same Bat-time, same Bat-channel.  And now a word from our sponsor (Your Ad Here).   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment