Saturday, August 13, 2011

Baking Bonanza!

I might have bitten off a little more than I could chew today, but it turned out ok.  I decided that since the experiment with Chinese Pork Buns went so well earlier in the week, today would be a good day to take on baking.

I get most of my recipes from AllRecipes.com and for the most part the recipes turn out ok if you follow the reviews and comments.  I found the Fleischmann's yeast sponsored one that said it was the winner at the Iowa State Fair and decided to try it.  I had all the ingredients it called for so I figured it was worth a shot.

I had an inkling something was awry when the liquid ingredients alone took up most of my pastry bowl.  After combining and adding two cups of flour, you were supposed to slowly add a cup of flour at a time to get a soft dough.  After mixing in the initial two cups, I had pancake soup.

Somewhere between six and eight additional cups (and one run to the store for another bag of all-purpose flour) later, I got to the soft dough stage.  The roughly five pounds of dough produced still had to rise a second time.  Thirty minutes later, the world's largest cupcake was protruding from my biggest mixing bowl.  All I wanted was two mornings' worth of cinnamon rolls and now I had enough dough to feed an army.

Mike had taken over at this point (I think he likes to poke and knead the soft stuff) and commanded that the dough be cut into thirds.  This was still too much so the thirds turned into fourths with a bit of dividing and squashing.  One quarter became cinnamon rolls, the other three-quarters got dumped into greased bread pans with crossed fingers.

All the time this was going on, we were finishing up round two of steamed Chinese Barbecue Pork Buns, and Mike made dinner from the last of the week's leftovers.  We had dinner, watched a few episodes of Shin Chan, and baked the bread and rolls.  It turned out...well, just check out the photo to see.


Three absolutely beautiful loaves of light, fluffy bread and ten cinnamon buns glazed in orange-bourbon icing.  We couldn't have done it this perfectly if we'd tried.  YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment